2019 MTNA-KMTA Composer Commissioning Call for Proposals OPEN!
Music Teachers National Association (MTNA) is dedicated to encouraging the creation of new works by American composers and annually assists its affiliated state associations with the generation and performance of new music through the national Composer Commissioning program. Each year, the Kentucky Music Teachers Association (KMTA) board selects one composer from the region to write a commissioned work for performance at their annual state conference.
Following the premier performance, the Kentucky commissioned work will be submitted to a panel of recognized composers who will select the MTNA-Shepherd Distinguished Composer of the Year from among all state commissioned works produced throughout the country that year. The winning work is presented in a concert performance at the next MTNA National Conference, and the composer is proclaimed the MTNA-Shepherd Distinguished Composer of the Year.
Composers living/working in Kentucky or adjoining states are invited to apply. Preference will be given to Kentucky-affiliated composers. It is not necessary to be a member of KMTA to apply, but non-KMTA composer will have to agree to join KMTA if selected for the commission.
Deadline for submissions is March 1, 2019.
2019 KMTA Conference Announcement and Location!
We are excited to announce the date and location for the 2019 KMTA State Conference. It will be held on September 20 and 21 at the Farish Theater in the Central Lexington Public Library in downtown Lexington. This wonderful space has been recently renovated and updated venue and is fully and ideally equipped for our artistic and technological needs. We are also thrilled to announce that our guest artists will be the Carr-Petrova Duo which consists of Ana Petrova, KMTA member and Assistant Professor of Piano at University of Louisville, and Molly Carr, violist and faculty member at the Juilliard School’s Precollege Program.
We hope that all of you will make plans to join us for another enriching and inspiring conference.
Further details regarding meals, session proposals, and recommended area hotels will be coming soon, and no worries about parking downtown! The Central library has its parking garage for convenient access to the library. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me an email or give me a call!
Victor Andzulis, NCTM, MM
Stay tuned for more information on our 2019 Conference as it is finalized!
Past State Conferences
Looking for info about a past conference?
This list has the current president, location, conference artist, and commissioned composer of each KMTA conference along with a link to more information, if available.
- 2018 Bernardo Scarambone, Galt House/KMAC, Sylvia Thereza, Dr. Steve Rouse
- 2017 Bernardo Scarambone, Transylvania U, Dr. Gregory Partain, Dr. Timothy Polashek
- 2016 Diana Aubrey, Courtyard by Marriott Hotel/UofL/Bellarmine, Harry Pickens, Richard Crosby
- 2015 Diana Aubrey, WKU, Latitude 49, Steven Weimer
- 2014 William Budai, Campbellsville, Stephen Beus, Larry Barnes
- 2013 William Budai, MuSU, Frederic Chui, Kurt Sander
- 2012 David Oyen, MoSu, Eunbyol Ko, Joseph Baber
- 2011 David Oyen, EKU, Bernardo Scarambone, Thomas Couvillon
- 2010 Krista Wallace-Boaz, U of L, Haochen Zhang, Richard Crosby
- 2009 Krista Wallace-Boaz, NKU, Cincinnati Opera, Greg Danner
- 2008 Vicki McVay, Campbellsville, Charles Rosen, Richard Burchard
- 2007 Vicki McVay, Centre College, Orion Weiss and Bavarian Philharmonic, Teresa Tedder
- 2006 Richard Scott, Transylvania U., showcase Recital, Joseph Barber
- 2005 Richard Scott, MoSU, Phillip Kevern, Gregory Partian
- 2004 Carol Dennes, MuSU, P. Karp and Eli Kalman, K. Holm-Hudson
- 2003 Carol Dennes, UK, Irina Voro, Richard Crosby
- 2002 Donald Speer, UofL, Stanislav Loudenitch, Michael Kallstom
- 2001 Donald Speer, EKU, Hayward Mickens, Sonny Burnette
- 2000 Diana Aubrey, NKU, Sergei Polusmiak, Charles W. Smith
- 1999 Diana Aubrey, Campbellsville, Cate Arroe, Larry Bitensky
- 1998 Denine LeBlanc, MuSU, Enid Katahn, Marc Satterwhite
- 1997 Denine LeBlanc, BG/Warren Co. Cntr., S. Kersenbaum, J. Curnow
- 1996 Janet Bass Smith, MoSU, Weekley and Arganbright, A.C. Moore
- 1995 Janet Bass Smith, UK, Alan Hersh, James Moore
- 1994 Stephen Brown, Ashland Plaza, Lee Luvisi, Frederick Speck
- 1993 Stephen Brown, U of L, McHugh-Oliphant Duo, Steve Rouse
- 1992 David Doran, WKU, S. Kersenbaum and E. Kersenbaum, J. Steffa
- 1991 David Doran, EKU, Richard Crosby, Christopher White
- 1990 Patricia Montgomery, MuSU, R. Slenczynska, M.N. McClellan
- 1989 Patricia Montgomery, U of L, Brenda Kee, Michael Kallstrom
- 1988 Wesley Roberts, UK, Nelita True, Larry Barnes
- 1987 Wesley Roberts, SBTS, Anthony Thurman, David Doran
- 1986 Ronald Boud, MoSU, Ann Schein, Nelson Keyes
- 1985 Ronald Boud, Campbellsville, G. Lucktenberg, Paul Brink
- 1984 Ronald Boud, EKU, Roe Van Boskirk, Kenneth Timm
- 1983 Larry Schenck, UK, UK Orchestra with P. Montegomery, J. Flippin
- 1982 Jean Huffman, Centre College, L. Keenan, M. Hinson, J. Chrisman, J. Carden
- 1981 Jean Huffman, U of L, David Kaiserman, Richard Bromley
- 1980 Marie Hargett, MuSU, A. and J. Paratore, Christopher Gallaher
- 1979 Marie Hargett, MoSU, Larry Keenan, Theodore Diakonoff
- 1978 Dorothy Hartsell, WKU, S. Kersenbaum, Claude Baker
- 1977 Dorothy Hartsell, U of L, Lee Luvisi, Jerome Seig
- 1976 Edgar Minor, UK, No record, Bennie Beach
- 1975 Edgar Minor, UK, Enid Katahn, Dan Welcher
- 1974 Larry Keenan, Louisville BG Cntr., No record, R. Hensel
- 1973 Larry Keenan, EKU, No record, Nelson Keyes
- 1972 Dorothy Spalding, SBTS, L. and I. Freundlich, Joseph Barber
- 1971 Dorothy Spalding, Berea, Dorothy and Carl Lewis, V. Severy
- 1970 John Winter, MuSU, No record, Paul Shahan
- 1969 John Winter. UK, Stockholm University Chorus, J. Woodward
- 1968 Glenn Fulbright, MoSU, Lenox Quartet, Frederick Mueller
- 1967 Glenn Fulbright, U of L, Lee Luvisi, Phillip Landgrave
- 1966 Glenn Fulbright, EKU, Grant Johannesen, NA
- 1965 Glenn Fulbright, WKU, Ruth Slenczynska, Phillip Landgrave
- 1964 Maurice Hinson, SBTS, SBTS Oratorio Chorus, NA
- 1963 Maurice Hinson, UK, Jung Ja Kim, NA
- 1962 John Chrisman, MoSU, William Newman, NA
- 1961 John Chrisman, Berea, Janos Starker and Leon Pommers, NA
- 1960 John Chrisman, MuSU, Louisville String Quartet, NA
- 1959 John Chrisman, KY Hotel, Louisville, LO and KOA, NA
- 1958 Jane Campbell, EKU, The Medley’s, NA
- 1957 Jane Campbell, UK, No record, NA
- 1956 Jane Campbell, U of L, Frances and Howard Karp, NA
- 1955 Jane Campbell, Berea, Berea College Music Faculty, NA
- 1954 Helen Greim, U of L, No record, NA
- 1953 Helen Greim, UK, No record, NA
- 1952 Helen Greim, UK, No record, NA