Table of Contents
The Kentucky Music Teachers Association is thrilled to announce the 4th Annual KMTA e-festival!
KMTA is excited to offer an alternative event to in-person festivals traditionally held by local associations in the spring. The KMTA e-festival is an online-only performance opportunity where students receive constructive comments and a rating as well as a chance to qualify for the State Honors Recital.
- This year, teachers will submit each student participant in a separate application by clicking the “e-Festival Online Registration” button below.
- Teachers can submit PDF versions of student music scores and video links through the registration page.
- There is a $15 fee for each student entry. If a student enters multiple instrument categories (voice and piano, for example) each category entry is $15.
- After the online registration form is submitted, you will be redirected to the PayPal payment page to pay the $15 registration fee.
- The DEADLINE for submission is May 26, 2023.
Register by clicking the button below:
The deadline for submission is May 26, 2023
- Students will be required to perform two contrasting pieces.
- Duet entries (4-hand, one piano) are allowed. Duet entrants should only complete one registration form with both performers’ names listed in the “Student Name” field.
- Division I: Students submitting repertoire beginner through mid-intermediate levels will participate for comments alongside the option to qualify for the State Honors Recital (SHR). The teacher should indicate on the entry form if they would like a student to be considered for SHR.
- Division II: Students submitting advanced repertoire (appropriate for KMTA State Competitions) will participate for comments alongside the option to qualify for the State Honors Recital (SHR). The teacher should indicate on the entry form if they would like a student to be considered for SHR.
- Repertoire guidelines align with the State Honors Recital guidelines and can be found here.
Evaluation and Selection for State Honors Recital
- Students will be evaluated based on criteria relevant to their instrument and ability level.
- For Division I, adjudicators will offer comments and ratings, as well as consider the top 25% of entries (who have chosen to be considered) for State Honors Recital recommendation.
- For Division I and II, adjudicators will offer comments and ratings, as well as consider the top 25% of entries (who have chosen to be considered) for State Honors Recital recommendation.
- Feedback from adjudicators will be given 1-2 weeks after the submission deadline.
KMTA e-Festival Video Instructions
You should record your video in the spirit of a live audition or recital performance.
You may record in a home, school, church, synagogue, recital hall, rehearsal room, or studio with good natural acoustics with or without an audience. You should dress professionally, as you would for a recital or live audition.
- A tablet or smartphone is all you need.
- To ensure the quality and consistency of the videos among entrants:
- Set up a device to capture the full body of the student (for pianists and string players, be sure hands are visible at the instrument; for singers, be sure facial expression is discernible).
- Limit background noise.
- Make sure the performance space is well-lit.
- Treat the camera as if it were the judge.
- Run a technical dress rehearsal with everything in place.
- Test the sound. Move the recording device, if needed.
- Treat this as a live performance!
- Dress appropriately
- Keep playing from start to finish! The performance quality may diminish after 3-5 takes and it is better to have one complete recording than none.
- Name your video files with the piece title and composer (for example, Minuet in G, Bach) Accepted formats: MP4, M4V, AVI, FLV, MOV, WMV, MPG, MPEG, M2V, WEBM.
- Create an account with YouTube (or a similar video-sharing platform). Upload your recording to YouTube.
- Scores should be in PDF format and named the same as the video file.
- Complete the online application and share video links. You will receive an automatic email confirming the successful submission of your videos and application