Bellarmine University Music Department, in collaboration with KMTA, will be hosting Brass and Woodwind Solo Competitions for High School students!
These competitions will happen on:
- Sunday, February 12, 2023 (Brass Competition)
- Sunday, February 19, 2023 (Woodwind Competition)
- Both events will begin at 12:00 pm and will be limited to 30 participants each.
There is a $30 registration fee for students of KMTA members and $40 for students of non-KMTA members. Registration closes on February 10th for the brass and February 17 for the woodwind competition 2023.
- Each participant will have a maximum of 7 minutes to perform a solo with accompaniment (unless the piece is unaccompanied). Timing will begin on the first note played by the soloist or accompanist.
- An original (no photocopies allowed) of the piece to be performed must be provided to the judge’s panel.
- The original music should include the measure numbers which must be written in, and any cuts must be marked.
Participants will receive written comments during each performance from three professional musicians. Total scores will be out of 100 points and awards will be given for first, second, and third place.
Bellarmine Music Department will sponsor 3 top prizes for each of the Brass and Woodwind Competition:
- 1st Place $500
- 2nd Place $250
- 3rd Place $150
An accompanist is required unless the piece is unaccompanied. If you need an accompanist, you can reach out to the following pianists:
Register for the competition
Brass and Woodwind Competition Registration
Payment can either be by check or you can pay online through the Bellarmine Gus Coin Fund Payment Portal.
Questions may be sent to Stacy Simpson for Brass and Dave Clark for Woodwinds.