KMTA Teacher of the Year
Do you know of a KMTA member who deserves to be recognized as “Teacher of the Year”? This award was instituted in 1993 and first presented at the 1994 KMTA Conference. The award includes a plaque, recognition in the KMTA Conference Booklet, on the KMTA website, payment of the conference registration fee and banquet ticket, and nomination for MTNA Teacher of the Year.
Letter of Nomination: Letters of nomination will be accepted from local KMTA affiliated associations or individual KMTA members and must be received by the KMTA Immediate Past President by July 1, 2017. Letters should be no more than two pages in length, presenting specific information about the candidate. Letters may address such items as the nominee’s general qualifications, evidence of success with students in teaching, and participation in KMTA.
Application: Nominees will be notified after July 1, 2017, and will have until August 15, 2017, to submit an application letter with supporting materials.
Selection Process: The application criteria were established to provide current and future Teacher of the Year selection committees a starting point for their deliberations, as well as clarifying in advance what specific information the nominated candidates need to submit. How these items will be weighted will be left to the discretion of the committee. After August 15, 2017, letters of nomination and completed applications will be distributed to the Teacher of the Year Committee. Selection will be made by October 1, 2017.
Minimum Requirements: The nominee must:
- Be a member of KMTA and MTNA in good standing.
- Have a minimum of five years teaching experience.
Required information to be included with the nominee’s application:
- Current MTNA membership number.
- Summary of teaching experience.
- Philosophy of teaching music.
Supporting materials included with the application should include the following information/documents:
- List of KMTA and other music related activities in which students participated (including the approximate number of students in each event).
- Summary of recent activities related to professional growth (for example workshops held or attended, research, publications, conferences, college courses, recitals and/or other performances, adjudicating, leadership activities, honors, KMTA/MTNA certification, etc.).
- Teaching/professional achievement: number of years of teaching experience.
- Evidence of teaching excellence (i.e. students’ successes).
- Accomplishments/contributions to KMTA and MTNA.
- Participation in local, state and/or national MTNA programs.
- Community involvement.
- Former student or parent letter of support.
- Professional colleague letter of support.
Send letters of nomination or requests for additional information to:
Diana C. Aubrey
1091 Hudgins Rd.
Summersville, KY 42782
Letters of nomination must be received by July 1, 2017.